I have made about six batches of pickles over the last month, and in my opinion, they are pretty darn good - They actually get better and better with each batch. And the best part, they are SO easy! With that said, below is my recipe for the perfect refrigerator dill pickles. (Adapted from several recipes, and only using ingredients that I like.)
Refrigerator Dill Pickles
(Fills 8 12oz Mason Jars)
3 Cups Distilled White Vinegar
4 Cups Hot Water
2/3 Cups Granulated Sugar
8 Teaspoons of Kosher Salt
2 Teaspoons Mustard Seeds
2 Teaspoons Dill Seeds
2 Teaspoons Celery Seed
3 Teaspoons Pickling Spices
6 Garlic Cloves, Finely Chopped
1 Cup Fresh Dill
1. Wash cucumbers, slice in half, and then slice into quarters. You will end up with 8 spears from each cucumber. (Each jar holds approximately 8 spears)
2. Chop garlic and fresh dill, and then add to the bowl with the cucumber spears, and mix until all spears are covered. (If you like a little spice in your life, add 2 Tablespoons of red pepper flakes to the bowl at this time.)
3. Begin to heat your 4 cups of water on the stove top.
4. In a large bowl, combine sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard seeds, dill seeds, celery seeds and pickling spices.
5. Once the water is hot, almost boiling, add to vinegar mixture, while stirring with a whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool.
6. Begin to fill your mason jars with the spears. Be sure and add the extra garlic and dill that is left in the bowl to each mason jar. (You do not want to waste that flavor!)
7. Once the liquid has cooled down, fill each jar with the liquid until the spears are covered.
8. Allow the jars to come to room temperature, and then place in the refrigerator for 24 hours. If you can't wait 24 hours, I won't judge you. ;) The pickles are delicious after only an hour, and only get better with time.
Enjoy, and Happy Pickling!