Sunday, May 15, 2011

Microwave Peanut Brittle

This past week, a High School in Georgia sent a gift box to our office. The box was filled with various items from the State, including several bags of peanuts. On the back of the peanut bags were two recipes for peanut brittle, a stove top version and a microwave oven version. I told everyone that if the peanuts were still there on Friday, I would make it my mission this weekend to make peanut brittle for the very first time. 
Well, the peanuts were still there...



Challenge accepted.
(Since I do not have a candy thermometer, I chose to attempt the microwave recipe)

Microwave Oven Peanut Brittle


1 1/2 cups raw shelled peanuts, skins on               
1 cup granulated sugar                                           
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda


Stir together peanuts, sugar, syrup, and salt in a 1 1/2 quart microwave safe container. Cook 8 minutes on high in microwave oven stirring well after 4 minutes. Stir in butter and vanilla. Microwave 2 minutes longer on high. (cooking time may vary with microwave) Add baking soda and quickly stir until light and foamy. Immediately pour onto lightly greased baking sheet; spread to 1/4 inch thickness. When cool break into pieces. Store in airtight container. Yields about 1 pound

End Result - Absolutely delicious, if I say so myself. And, quite
possibly one of the easiest things I have ever done!

1 comment: