1 Cup Warm Water
1 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
2 Teaspoons Fast Rising Yeast
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Fresh Rosemary, chopped
1/4 Teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour + Extra For Kneading
1 Egg, Whisked + 1 Tablespoon of Water, For Egg Wash
Additional Rosemary, For Sprinkling
1. In a large bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let sit 10 minutes.
2. Stir in the salt, rosemary, seasonings, olive oil, and whole wheat flour. Add the bread flour and stir until the dough forms a ball. Knead on a lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes, adding more flour as necessary to prevent sticking, until smooth.
3. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl; cover; and let rise until doubled in size, about1 hour.
4. Punch down the dough and form it into a round loaf. Place it on a cornmeal or flour dusted baking sheet and cover; let rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 Degrees. Once the dough has risen, gently brush the top with egg wash and sprinkle with dried rosemary.
6. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
Makes 1 round loaf.
A BIG thank you to the blog, a hint of honey, for their recipe! This will be one that I know I will make again and again.